Got The Fever

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Can You Dig It? Vol. 1

A few tracks off the fantastic six CD set called "Can You Dig It? The 70’s Soul Experience". I chose these off of disk one.

Crumbs Off The Table
There’s not a lot I can find about Glass Table other than they had the first hit on the Holland-Dozier-Holland Invictus label The label included others in its stable with Chairman of the Board, The Honey Cone, 100 Proof, Eighth Day, Laura Lee and Freda Payne. And I did find that Freda Payne’s sister Sherrie sang lead as did Ty Hunter for a bit also. This is just a fine funky tune that has needed to be brought out to the forefront for quite sometime and has been covered by Dusty Springfield and Laura Lee. You could call this a small slice of funky soul at some of its best. You’ll be treated to nice harp playing, great horn arrangement, fine vocals and the fruits of great songwriting.

What you been doin?
Who you been wooin?
Tell me, tell me, who you been doin?
What you been doin?
Who you been wooin?
Tell me, tell me, tell me who you been doin?

I said Im hungry for your lovin
But you, you aint able
All you want to give me
Is the crumbs off the table

Westbound #9
This will deliver to you a killer combo of fuzz guitar and singing in the Pickett/Redding style that was so prevelent in the day of fine soul. Again, not much out there about them, but from Wikipedia I gleaned that they were a white band from Detroit who were on the Holland-Dozier-Holland Hot Wax Records. Westbound #9 hit #24 pop and #15 on the Billboard R&B singles chart. They changed the name to Mind, Body and Soul, and get this – they were inducted into the Rockabilly Hall of Fame in 1999, due to member Jerry Plunk coming from Jackson, Tennessee!

Ma, I see you're ashamed
To look me in the face
As if I was nothing
But a past mistake

Sittin' there at night
When Pa comes stumblin' in
Full of the Deacon's bathtub gin
Swearin' and a-cussin'
That I wasn't no kin
I heard his name but Ma knows
What he should have been.

Glass House: Crumbs Off The Table (60)
Flaming Ember: Westbound #9 (61)
From: Can You Dig It? The 70’s Soul Experience, CD1 [2001]

2 Comments:

  • Finest kind, especially "Westbound #9"---that's an insanely great record. Thanks a lot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM  

  • I wholeheartedly agree jb - this is one of those that always brings a smile in spite of the widening gap of time from when it was issued. For me, it's a 'must have'.

    By Blogger WZJN, at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home