Got The Fever

Friday, September 28, 2007

The B-52's

At one time they were everywhere – at the parties, in the car, in the parking lot Friday afternoons, on the radio and certainly in the dance clubs. They were a great gasp of fresh air amidst the dark and brooding pompousness of ‘alternative radio’. Again, at one time.

The B52’s were crazy, fun, infectious and danceable for everyone. Standards from them included ‘Rock Lobster’, ‘Planet Claire’, ‘Private Idaho’ and ‘Strobe Light’. Loved them all.

Though there are a lot of good tracks on their first few albums, there are a few that I enjoyed above the others.


Dance This Mess Around
Maybe it’s the very beginning that really intrigues me? The organ and guitar that gives just a taste, a sampling, of the track that helps to pull me in. Maybe the attraction is the way the vocals are sang? There’s not really a need to ‘carry the tune’ so much as it is a melodic proclamation of sorts. Most likely it’s just a damn good song to sing and dance to.


Remember when you held my hand
Remember when you were my man
Walk talk in the name of love
Before you break my heart
Think it over, think it over
Roll it over in your mind
Why don't you dance with me
I'm not no Limburger
Just a limburger

Dance this mess around, Dance this mess around, 'round, 'round !!

Give Me Back My Man

This is another unconventional track that highlights their songwriting skill, along with their ‘Ace card’, vocal and guitar, showing up again. You’ll probably never hear them singing ‘Stardust’, but I’d bet that a lot of artists would have a hard time covering this as well. Insistently and powerfully done this is something that is made for, and belongs on, a random play list.


Her head's in a whirlpool,spinnin' round and round.
If she don't get her man backshe's gonna drown.
I'll give you fish,I'll give you candy,
I'll give you everything I have in my hand.

Give me, give back my man.

B-52’s: Dance This Mess Around (115)
From:
The B-52’s [1979]

B-52’s:
Give Me Back My Man (110)
From:
Wild Planet [1980]

3 Comments:

  • Excellent selections! I've been a long time fan. Ricky Wilson will always be missed...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 PM  

  • Two key tracks featuring front and center vocals by the amazing Cindy Wilson!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

  • I heard these guys shortly after their first record came out. Their music was totally unlike anything anything I had ever heard. Hard to capture in words just how jarring this music sounded in a landscape dominated by Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and Kiss. But if you were there, you knew these guys were breaking new musical ground.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home