Got The Fever

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Bread

Usually when one thinks of the band Bread, images of doe eyed girls sighing with their hearts going pitter patter come to mind with tracks such as “If”, “Diary”, “Everything I Own” (actually written about his grandfather), “Make It With You” and “Sweet Surrender” – Cupid gently calling out and inviting couples to romp within the garden of love.

But, I fondly remember Bread as having a bit more of an edge to them from time to time – albeit I admit to that edge being softened somewhat due to production. I remember the wah-wah of “Guitar Man”. That, above all, was the highlight for me listening to that track on my cheap-o transistor radio. I had the 45 and probably ground it transparent playing it over and over.

There are a few others that Bread did that may be forgotten by you – or, even better, you haven’t even heard yet.

Mother Freedom
This is an anti-Bread kind of track. Starting off with a chuga-chuga-chuga distortion rhythm guitar it almost (dare I propose this?) sounds like a garage band crunching it out with the best of them. Simple chord progression, straight to the point skin banging and crisp pied-piper lead all add up to a song that just begs to be noticed again – for good reason. I can easily see a lot of bands covering this and transitioning it as their own.

Freedom - keep walkin'
Keep on your toes and don't stop talkin' 'bout
Freedom - get goin'
Lots to be learned and lots to be knowin' 'bout
People - gotta reach 'em
Sit 'em right down and then you gotta teach 'em 'bout
Freedom - gotta win it
Gotta put yourself smack dab in it

Hey tomorrow
Now don't you go away
'Cause freedom
Just might come your way


Let Your Love Go
Another riff that you can’t believe that you forgot. There’s simply no choice but to slit your eyes in acquiescence while tapping your foot unconsciously – a classic example of well thought out rhythm guitar. Listen at 1’51 where it sounds as if the rhythm and drums both seem to lose the timing a bit and stumble trying to get it back on the track. But, in the true spirit of ‘garage’ type bands, they left it in – and I relish little mistakes like that, which give it more of an unpolished appeal.

I made a motion and its out on the floor
And it’s a notion that I'd love to explore
Cause I been tastin’ the love you been wastin
So baby wont you give it to me...

You’re a lady
And I’m here in the palm of your hand
Such a lady
How much more do you think I can stand?


Not a bad couple of choices for a band you normally associated as background for “getting to third base” in the backseat of a LeSabre, eh?

Bread: Mother Freedom [89]
Bread: Let Your Love Go [63]
From: Bread Retrospective [1996]

6 Comments:

  • Great post, and just the two songs I figured you'd post when I started reading and saw where you were going! As to their soft stuff, I subscribe to the idea expressed in one of the Rolling Stone album guides: pop, yes, but sublime pop!

    By Blogger whiteray, at 5:56 PM  

  • Leave it to you whiteray! I'm glad you know these but I just couldn't help myself from posting the two of them.

    By Blogger WZJN, at 8:44 PM  

  • whiteray - I also find it kind of weird that both you and I published "Let Your Love Go" on the very same day!

    By Blogger WZJN, at 8:55 PM  

  • I think you could make a party game out of these---"who's this band"---and lots of people wouldn't guess.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • Odd, indeed. But the world works that way sometimes . . . (I think I got here a day or two after you posted and thus didn't notice the immediate synchronicity!)

    By Blogger whiteray, at 6:48 PM  

  • Jeff at AM Then FM posted recently on Stanley Clarke. Got me reminiscing about the band I played with in high school. We covered Mother Freedom but shortened it to "Freedom" and announced it as a Jimi Hendrix tune. (We were far too cool to play a Bread tune!). Feel free to drop by Fusion 45 and check it out. In the meantime, thanks for thoughtful writing and great music.

    By Blogger Michael Verity, at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home