Got The Fever

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Bringing Out The Childhood Christmas

I guess it’s always nice to try to reach out farther and find the eclectic, rare or hidden. But sometimes it is nice to bring out the classics into their rightful place at the right time.

Perhaps it is true that you can never go home, but maybe we can, in a way, go home once in a while – even if it’s only in our hearts.

Must Be Santa Claus
This evokes a picture of three kids sitting on a couch, Mom standing over them, Dad sawing the bottom of a too tall tree and Mitch Miller belting out in the background. Sometimes so loud it was even in the foreground.

Be that as it may, Mitch always brings back sweet memories of warm cider, bright bulbs, hand made decorations from kindergarten, the scent of evergreen potpourri and stringing yards of cranberries and popcorn.

For some reason this song has kept itself bobbing in my mind for the last three or four days. Maybe because a little girl in pigtails keeps singing it with such enthusiasm is the reason. Or, maybe because she’s been singing it over and over and over again is the real reason.

Who very soon will come our way
Santa very soon will come our way

Eight little reindeer pull his sleigh
Santa's little reindeer pull his sleigh

Reindeer sleigh, come our way
HO HO HO, cherry nose
Cap on head, suit that's red
Special night, beard that's white

Must be Santa
Must be Santa
Must be Santa
Santa Clause


I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
Leave it to Dean to bring it all together with such class.

A very cool lounge classic for the pigtail girl, and the Dad as well, to sing along to. Even the two older brothers sometimes slip up and have it rolling out under their breath before they realize it and then try to catch it back.

Great music, like great literature or great beauty, knows no particular time period or generation.

I can't remember a worse December
Just watch those icicles form
What do I care if icicles form?
I've got my love to keep me warm

Off with my overcoat
Off with my glove
I need no overcoat
I'm burning with love

Mitch Miller: Must Be Santa Claus
Dean Martin: I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm

2 Comments:

  • Happy Christmas, WZJN! Have a good one.

    By Blogger ib, at 7:15 PM  

  • Hi and happy 2009!
    Just wanted to say that the Mitch Miller song is one of my all time favorites! I've never, ever forgotten hearing the song when I was a kid a good 35 ago. Love Dino too, anytime of the year! Hope the new year is bringing you happiness.
    Thanks for sharing the memories,
    Ken

    By Blogger Music2MyEars, at 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home