Got The Fever

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Blue Break Beat 1

Some groove music thrown down for you here. I found these online and snapped them up as quickly as I could. In my car, I’ve had hours and hours of solid beat music for those commuting hours.

Any who knows anything knows that Blue Note is a label of blues and jazz integrity. Matter of fact, the term ‘blue notes’ literally means the interpretation of blue and jazz notes and, well, “blue notes”.

This collection of four disks is a must for anyone that has a serious interest in groove, beat and solid backbone music.

Evidence One: Blue Juice – Jimmy McGriff
Long known as part of the duo along with Hank Crawford, McGriff is a blues organist of the finest quality. This should have you nodding at the stop light.

Jimmy McGriff (organ); Danny Turner (alto saxophone); Fats Theus (tenor saxophone); Bob Ashton (baritone saxophone); Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Thornel Schwartz (guitar); Bob Bushnell (electric bass); Grady Tate, Mel Lewis (drums). Producer: Sonny Lester. Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna. Recorded at Bell Sound Studios, New York, New York in August 1968.

Evidence Two: Harlem River Drive – Bobbi Humphrey

Never thought that I’d be the kind into flute music as a lead instrument, but, I’ll be damned this is hot. She also has the distinction of being the very first female ever signed to Blue Note records. The woman can play. This is one of those that you need to leave on and let take you in. Between the massive flute and the reiterated vocals singing the title over and over, I feel completely sated and taken by the end.




Jimmy McGriff: Blue Juice
From: Blue Break Beats, Vol. 1 [1993]

Bobbi Humphrey: Harlem River Drive
From: Blue Break Beats, Vol. 1 [1993]

F**kin paypal/rapidshare isn't working and I'm too wound up to fix it all. I'll try later. Anyone here anyway?

Addendum: Nov 7,2006

Attitude much better.

5 Comments:

  • Awww, just when the funk started to flow. I'm here WZJN

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 PM  

  • Damn - just when I thought trash! Just had a crappy day I suppose what with rapidshare/paypal all being messed up.

    Got a haircut and changed my attitude. I've let it go.

    Hey - thanks for writing!

    By Blogger WZJN, at 5:28 AM  

  • Love the tunes - thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 PM  

  • Glad to see you do. Have any suggestions? Send them in!

    By Blogger WZJN, at 5:37 PM  

  • This is such a fantastic compilation. I can literally listen to it on repeat all day.

    By Blogger Tam, at 2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home